September 13, 2010

Don't Lose the Good You Oft Might Win

Our doubts are traitors, making us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

-Measure for Measure, Act I Scene iv
Ever since the Train Lady told me to "write that song," I've been taking steps forward to take my musical inclinations more seriously. Last spring, I got the song "Draw Near" written. This Fall, I got it and another song I wrote recorded and posted on Facebook for people to listen too, under the stage name Doubts Are Traitors.

The name comes from my favorite line of Shakespeare, and reminds me of 2 Timothy 1:7:
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power, of love and of self-discipline.
I've often erred on the side of timidity; while all boldness should be couched in love and gentleness, boldness is still boldness nonetheless!

It has been a great blessing to see the fruits of my labor that God has brought about, and the way the songs have already spoken to people. While I'm very happy that this has come together, I've got to remember that it's God who let me write these songs and it's for joy in him and testimony that I write them. I hope to pour all that God's given me into writing songs for Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment